Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Day 2 Oct 21

Today I began to take notice of the many organisms throughout the aquarium and tried to identify some of them. Here, in order, they are.

1. Nematodes- First thing I saw, and had an accordion like movement. Eventually I noticed more of these all throughout the pond, but the first was spotted around the bottom muck layer.
2. Rotifers- Their slow bumper car movement came to my attention early. I actually saw two different kinds. A big one that I witnessed eating pieces of the various plants, and a smaller one with a moving hair like tail.
3. Closterium- I saw tons of these algae everywhere.
4.Copepod-by far my favorite thing to see. I actually had to chase him down to get a good look at him. Here's a picture of one.
5.Stentor- single celled organsim that looks a lor like a Bugle potato chip. Had a slight wobbling motion.
6.Cladoceran(Water Flea)- largest organsim I saw, and was eating bits of green plant.
7. Filamentous Algae- Witnessed everywhere throughtout, and often was a snack for these organsims.

Most of the living things I saw were not in the bottom muck layer, but the middle portions around the green plants, and the leaflet I added. Most of the organisms I saw in the muck were very tiny. Next week, I will try to identify some more things, and give an update on my status.

No comments:

Post a Comment